 Local / Australia / 7519
Re: BUGs 938/432-12/JW-3 is over
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 02:48:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Timothy Gould writes:

Hi all, it is the hungover one here

A good turnout today at my place for BUGS 938/432-12/JW-3 (this representing
the new numbering scheme in which the IP address of the host's computer is
multiplied by the time of the commencement of meeting measured in seconds
since 1 Jan 1970 Greenwich Mean Time, with the postcode used to calculate a
checksum after application of a Soundex Code -- see many earlier threads for
the history of this simple yet effective numbering scheme).

Now are you going to make the dating code available under the GNU public
license

No need - gettimeofday() does it already (on most Unix systems). Note however
that 32 bit systems will return incorrect values after 18 January 2038 - see
http://vancouver-webpages.com/time/Y2K38.html. By that time you should be up to
about BUGS 45213/988-65/ZS-9.

so that I can generate a routine for determining (in cases where
a house has two or more active IP's) a traffic based log based on the
total active time of each computer in the 48 hours before the meeting.

But do we use the external IP or the internal IP (I have all my home computers
behind a single firewall)? And what about people with dynamic IPs ?????? 8?)

ROSCO

(thinking he should probably x-post to .geek, but refraining...)