 Local / Australia / 6521
Re: Anyone else seen this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 06:49:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, David Drew writes:
Hi,
I was in my local toy-store today, getting a monster mask for a birthday
party tomorrow, and I saw what has to be only of the most blatant Lego
rip-offs that I've ever seen.

It was a 'Chess' set. The logo that showed the 'Chess' was exactly the same
as the Lego logo, just a different word inside. It looked so close that the
first couple of times, my mind actually substituted the 'lego', and I
thought that I was looking at a Lego set. :) I can't remember the name of
the maker, something trivial. It was made in China.

The actual product was a chess-set made of minifigs and small 4*4
baseplates. The bodies of the chess-men weren't Lego rip-offs, they were a
neat 2*2 round body that looks pretty much like a regular chess piece, but
with dimples on the base so they could latch onto the baseplate studs.

The pieces all had arms, heads, with helmets and crowns etc, and these
pieces looked like they had just stepped straight out of Legoland. I
couldn't judge the scale of the studs and pieces from the box, but they
looked pretty close to that of Lego's.

Spotted four of these on the weekend at the wee toyshop in Macquarie centre
outside Tah-zhay (home of the $1.50 mini-sets...). $30. The fig-heads look like
they are closely related to the folk of King Leo's castle. Highly recommended to
anyone who likes clone curios, and isn't moving to Florida in a month...
Also spotted the Creator game, at a very silly price.

--DaveL