 Local / Australia / 6416
Re: why does lego (and lego australia) hate online stores?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:50:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
I don't remember the exact rules but TLC requires that any store that wants to
put LEGO online must have a minimum of 6 (I think) "Brick and mortar" stores.
There was an exception for eToys but we all know how that worked out.

This prevents many "mom and pop" type stores from selling LEGO online.  I don't
know the reasoning behind this rule but then again I don't know why TLC does a
lot of things the way they do.  All I can see is that it prevents someone from
opening a storefront with the premise of being an online retailer.  Maybe TLC
doesn't want its retailers competeing with shop.lego.com (doesn't help those
down in AU but its a guess).

Eric Kingsley

Hadn't heard that before but it does seem to make sense when you look at
what's out there.  Exceptions are certainly rare - only other one I can
think of is www.latoys.com.  They've had LEGO at least since the first SW
line (that's when I noticed the site) and I think they have just the one
actual store.

I wonder what defines a 'store'.  Even the largest and most organized
Brickbayers, ebayers, and independent fan sale sites don't have to worry
about such a thing.  Is it a matter of buying wholesale from LEGO to begin with?

John