 General / 31349
Re: why does lego (and lego australia) hate online stores?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Radtke writes:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Other than the obvious fact of shop.lego.com, is there any reason lego
hates online stores/doesnt allow stores to sell lego online?

Do you mean specifically in Australia?  That isn't the case in the US.  Are
there no online toy stores at all or just none that offer LEGO?  Is there
some set of laws down there that would allow TLG to prohibit a reseller from
offering their product online?  I'm not sure I can imagine how that would
benefit TLG...

I don't remember the exact rules but TLC requires that any store that wants to
put LEGO online must have a minimum of 6 (I think) "Brick and mortar" stores.
There was an exception for eToys but we all know how that worked out.

This prevents many "mom and pop" type stores from selling LEGO online.  I don't
know the reasoning behind this rule but then again I don't know why TLC does a
lot of things the way they do.  All I can see is that it prevents someone from
opening a storefront with the premise of being an online retailer.  Maybe TLC
doesn't want its retailers competeing with shop.lego.com (doesn't help those
down in AU but its a guess).

Eric Kingsley