 Local / Australia / 6005
Re: Building big
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:17:33 GMT

I recently built a not that big, but large enough to be difficult,
version of the Naboo Royal Starship (about 1/2 scale as compares to the
Fighter for those who care). This ship required a nice smooth and very
round exterior so it may not apply if you are building a rectangular
carrier type ship.

When I built it, I decided that I wanted a nice interior in the rear
(which also happens to be the roundest part) but didn't care so much
about the front section. As such, the ship comes apart into 2 major
sections, the back one then splits into 4 (including two small wings).

For the front section I use a lot of hollowness. This meant it was much
lighter than it would have been if it was solid, and thus required much
less structural support. Basically it is a lot of 2x2's holding up
plates which hold other plates by hinges. The base is held togethor in
an extremely flimsy manner which I will not discuss as it is not good
:-).

The back section was more difficult. I had to create a removable
domelike structure which I made out of basic bricks (lots of 2xY's and
1x1's) as well as a few plates.
The interior is just a roofless square with fair structural support due
to the stress on it being inwards. I found that using larger pieces
(such as castle corner pieces) aids the structure whilst reducing weight
which is very important.
The wings are separate and hold the edges of the dome so that it would
not collapse. This would not be as important for a rectangular structure
or a dome made with plates as well but is very important for rooves
which tend to collapse out.

I think the main thing to do is to ensure that you keep the body as
light as possible to reduce the amount of interior room you must 'fill'
to hold it up. I seriously recommend fiddling around a lot with hinges
and similar stud-shifting techniques in order to use the much lighter
plates rather than the more heavy vertical pieces.

Incidentally, what type of ship are you building? If you can use them,
I'd probably recommend using the (maniacal laughter here) UFO curved
pieces for the roof and base as they are large and light.

I hope that's not too bizarre a ramble (I have a cold and have been very
strongly left-brained today so my writing skills may be a little queer).

C Ya

Tim