 Local / Australia / 5836
Re: Bionicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.nz
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:43:38 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, James Stacey writes:

My Bro' in law was telling me he had read somewhere about TLC getting sued
by some tribespeople somewhere for using their sacred tribal names for the
bionicle range. Has anyone else heard anything about this or is it a bunch
of schwa
--
James Stacey
www.minifig.co.uk

G'day,

yep, I think it was the Pacific Island area that was against TLG on
this...In fact I believe it is a group of Maoris who were taking TLG to
court on it. The reason, as I recall, was that TLG was trying to
'copy-right/trademark' the names of the Bionicles, when the names were taken
directly from the Pacific Islanders gods or something like that, and it was
getting into how far a company can go in naming products based on some-ones
beliefs and then trying to prevent whatever name being used, even possibly
in its original context. [though I could be wrong.]

Benjamin Whytcross