 Local / Australia / 5556
5555  |  5557
Subject:
Taxation confusion - trying to understand the effects of GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 12:36:39 GMT

I'm trying to make plans for receiving some LEGO in a trade deal, and I was
wondering how much GST and other taxes and duties will get levied on the
postage, and the perceived value of the parcel, if any.

The LEGO would probably be worth around $200 or more as there is a lot of
it, but it is nearly all older sets.  There might be more than one parcel.

The parcel would cost around $90 or so to ship, in US dollars.  The sets
themselves would more than likely be MISB for the most part.

I've noticed in this thread http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=5244&t=i&v=a
that Mel got charged a fee for the LEGO, plus GST on postage.  I do not know
if they calculate the GST on the value of the postage in US or Australian
currency, since prior to this, I don't think there was any tax on incoming
goods from overseas destinations.

I would hope that it's the latter, because calculating GST after conversion
of the postage with the exchange rate would seem fair, unless they charge
GST to the sender and not the receiver, which is unlikely given Mel's case
above.

I am also looking for the Customs website, if there is any - perhaps there
is an explanation of GST there.  If not, oh well ...

I hope someone can answer these questions, as the GST is confusing if you've
never had it levied on you before.

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde