 Local / Australia / 450
Re: A recent Lego-oriented trip
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 14:24:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:
As some of you know, I recently travelled by road from Melbourne to Sydney,
taking in a string of toy stores along the south-eastern coast of Australia.
Although I found a few interesting things along the way, they were almost
all in Victoria, and sadly the range and prices of Lego in NSW (well, S-E
NSW at least) was rather disappointing compared to Vic. A few of you had
sent me lists of sets that you were after, I can safely say that not a
single request could have been fulfilled, and a lot of the sets requested
still seem like they shouldn't have been so hard to find :-(
I also got the opportunity to visit a few "Clint's Crazy Bargains" on the
rumour that Lego was once to be found there, but sadly, there was nothing of
the kind...
But it was still a wonderful holiday. I got to meet Richard Parsons and
Peter White and their families, I got to admire Port Block in the flesh
(oops, I mean in the ABS), and I got to stand and gape in sheer amazement at
the staggeringly HUGE amount of Lego that Peter has managed to amass... Can
anyone say, "Australia's Conan"? ;-)

I just wish it was more interesting stuff, rather than multiples of recent
editions (dreaming of Blacktron craft to land on my Blacktron plates and
pirate ships to sail the local waters, the AF is a start though, thanks :^) )

The weather in NSW was excellent the whole time, and my journey home on
Sunday was pleasant and quite free of mishaps.

It was good to see you got home safely to help welcome Larry Sunday evening.

Finally, my most sincere thanks go to Richard and Pia and Peter and Anna for
their most generous hospitality.

Anytime your in Sydney, your welcome.

Oh, also it's good to be back in Melbourne. Sydney is a very pretty city,
but it's scary, especially those insane motorists! Oh, and the Lego in some
of our toy shops down here isn't too bad either. Whenever you're in Melb,
make sure you check out a Toyworld or three.

It's just an illusion, my snail driving makes all others appear frenzied.

pete.w