 Local / Australia / 390
389  |  391
Subject:
Probable effect of GST on LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:25:30 GMT

The way I see it, Lego SHOULD decrease in cost by about 10%. This is due to
the way the GST is worked:

Currently, each set is imported by LA. This is then sold to the retailer
with 22% wholesale sales tax. The RRP is then 40% on top of this price.
[I've got order forms from LA for 1996-1999, which show cost, Wholesale, and
RRP, and this is the approximate values...RRP varies between 40-45%, but the
22% is fixed]
eg $1 cost => $1.22 wholesale => $1.71

BUT, with the GST, LA only add 10% onto the set cost. The retailer pays this
price, but before calculating their cost, remove the GST component, as they
get this rebated from the government [This is something that the papers fail
to take into account when showing price rises from the GST]. This returns
the cost to the retailer to LA's cost. Add to this the 40% for RRP, and then
10% for GST, and the price is about 15-20% cheaper than pre GST.
eg $1 cost => $1.10 GST => $1 'wholesale' => $1.40 RRP => $1.54 retail with
GST.

result about 10% cheaper. [at least that's how it looks...IANAL/Accountant]
If anyone sees any errors/incorrect assumptions/calculations, let me know,
but that is the way I see the cost going.

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsary..Growing up isn't :-)