 Local / Australia / 3024
RE: Rule on thumb on pricing of assorted Lego pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 02:54:40 GMT

Well, the only non-AFOL info I can give is based on a second-hand toy-shop
near work...they charge between $100 and $200 for a container approx
1'x1'x1' [Of course, the seller only gets 50% of the sale price...they sell
on consignment] I'm actually considering making an offer for the collection
of an adult son of one of the staff members there [3-6 containers, including
castle(s) and pirate ships.]

As a basic idea, a minifig is between $1 and $2 to buy from LA, and if you
see any parts in the collection that you can place to one or two sets [eg.
yellow tudor castle walls, barn doors, etc] then you can be fairly certain
there'll be a reasonable amount of parts for that set in there, and factor
that into your offer [ And if there's 2 red corner castle walls with black
printing, I'd be interested...I just got 1/2 a guarded in at the shop on
Tuesday :) (along with 1/2 a 6926, and a near complete 6012...$19 for the
lot :) [I may put together a list of what I've gotten there this year, and
the prices at some stage...This shop can be VERY good.])]

I do have other ways to work out values, but my main one is looking for
parts that you can place to a specific set, so you know that the set is most
likely in the box. [Admittedly, a good memory is a bonus for this sort of
thing.]

If you're only after specific parts, and not sets, then the $x per whatever
volume comes into play. [A good way to work $x out is to think...how much
would I pay for this vomume of part(s) X which no-one wants (Timmy minifigs
is a good example [sorry peter]) then how much would you pay for part(s) Y
which is some parts that you NEED that would require the same volume [a
large accumulation of 1x4 toothed tiles :) ]. To work out your offer, pick a
price between based on what you can see [good parts : not wanted parts]
(generally close to the centre of the two prices.)]

I hope this helps you, [and doesn't lead to any confusion...I'm tired, so
this may not all make sense...4 hours to go till I can head home :( ]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)