 Local / Australia / 3002
Re: The Lord Nelson at Port Block
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:08:58 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
Afternoon all,

Having recently added a little two storey pub to Port Block (and no I haven't
taken any decent pictures yet - no doubt I will in due course) and having
tentatively named it the Lord Nelson, I thought to check to make sure I am not
inadvertently pinching someone else's name for a pub at their port :-)

   Not that I know of, although there are at least three Lord
   Nelsons in London at present (only one of which, I might add,
   is a publican).

   Anyways, I've been trying to think of catchy slogans for
   the pub.  The best I've come up with so far is "Come to
   the Lord Nelson and take a shot in the Trafalgar."  Not
   exactly welcoming, although the more subtle "Come down
   to the Lord Trafalgar and get pickled" might be in similarly
   bad taste, albeit not as bad as the taste of that rum by
   the time HMS Victory reached Portsmouth.  I've got to
   wonder if any gunner's mate or similar wag inadvertantly
   stole down to tap a bit of happiness, only to find out
   he was havin' a private drink with the Lord Admiral...

I know that we can same named pubs in different towns, but it seems better to
keep them unique-ish, and I still leave the door open to steadily building up
the pirate/naval legoverse, stringing multiple sites together

   I wish I could partake!  Alas, my ABS is stored away, and my
   time is stored away too (doesn't keep me from reading, natch).
   You never know, though--Caledonia and Batavia are both good
   possibilities.  (You know those Dutchmen and their Java...)

   arrrrr,

   Lindsay.nl