 Local / Australia / 2682
Re: Brad's "promise"...will it affect us?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:02:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Just curious...how many people here think that Brad's promise of : "I'll be
posting by the end of this week. And it'll be news that I think everyone is
looking forward to."
will have any effect on Australia [remembering how many complaints it took
to get Australia mentioned in regards to LD, and how customer friendly LA
are[1]]

Nup, my money is on it being nothing whatsoever to do with anything
Australiawise. At all. In this context read "everyone" as "everyone currently
serviced by a real attempt at Lego retail" It'll probably be new parts to bulk
order.

On the customer friendlyness of LA. I've never _ever_ had anything less than
smiley service from them. Sure the prices [in stores] are a bit, you know. And
the release dates lag something chronic but these aren't necessarly LA's
fault. Admittedly their info systems could be upgraded but mostly it's that
Denmark should pull it's finger out and start treating Australia as more than
just a passive market.

Actually, by customer-friendly, I meant that they should actually try to get
outside their offices and see what people think, instead of relying on people
phoning them. Also, they should do something about the un-reliability of their
Reps, as I would think that if a rep said they would be at a certain store on
a certain day that they should go there, or at least let the store know if
they couldn't get there. [3 weeks and counting, I think]

The other user-unfriendly thing is the way they always blame some-one else for
sets/catalogues not being ready when they are supposed to be. After all, 20+
years of bringing lego into Australia should have left them with SOME idea of
how long these items take to get here...

Having seen the PNLTC train club go off this weekend, I'd love to see the same
happen here (disregarding tyranny of distance issues) but it won't. Lego
Australia isn't even proactive about putting the world show on, it's just
another thing to be "managed".

[1] Of course, if he says LA will be getting re-organised, maybe we'll get
someone who actually knows 1) something about Lego, and 2) someone who is
willing to listen to consumers [I've lost count of the number of times I've
heard parents complain about the cost of Lego, and say how they'd buy more
if it didn't cost so much (And having seen the prices for the soccer and
action wheelers sets, it proves that the prices ARE inflated by LA)]

Unfortunatly LA isn't getting the full picture. They very rarely hear "your
prices are too high". They hear parents who have bought sets thanking them for
great products. But don't forget that most people out there who aren't
connected to the net doen't even know they're missing out in terms of price,
range, release date, service-spares, world shows, Lego train clubs... and most
of those people wouldn't care even if they did know.

You are right that there doesn't seem to be much info gathering by LA
regarding sales as a result of (15%+)discounted prices. If a store wants a
sale it's the store's business. It's just coincidence that the store badly
needs a rep visit afterwards, right? The price being high justifies itself
though. The product still moves, they save on imports if they bring less in
(or more correctly are given less to bring in) and they maintain the "it's
expensive, it must be good" opinion.

Apparently the soccer sets are advertised on TV. If I'm hearing about this (I
haven't watched TV in 6+ months) then it's effective. I know BigW macquarie is
seeing money walk out the door cause they're not stocking the soccer sets.

James (who's probably rambled enough for today.)

P.S. It is not possible to be happy with The Lego Company at this point in
time. We are currently working at extending this service to you. Please be
patient.