 Local / Australia / 2452
Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 06:41:07 GMT

With Rugby, League and AFL (1), the ball is in the players hands for most of
the time. So I don't see how it can be called Football. Call me picky but I use
the term football or "footie" to mean exactly that: Game played with the foot.

Bear in mind though that them Americans refer to it as Soccer, therefore
their marketing machine will no doubt brainwash the world into calling it
Soccer.

Santosh

(1) I don't actually follow any of these sports. Rugby, ermm isn't that just
wrestling with an egg shaped object? League, why do they take one step forward
and two steps back? and AFL, well I'm not sure whats really going on with that
game anyhow.

In lugnet.football, Jamie Obrien writes:
Hi, i think that the fact that Football (OK Soccer) is the most played sport
in Australia (just on front of Netball i think) means it's getting some great
publicity to the kids. More and More people are thinking of Soccer as
Football, it's just a matter of context. Football as a world term easily fits
the sport and Soccer isn't really necessary for the newer emerging markets as
they follow the games in Europe and South America with a passion.

It's also funny that there is even now movements beggining to sprout to stop
the usage of 'Soccer', it seems they see it as a derogatory term for the game!

Jamie
<I'll find some of those 4x12's sooner or later!!!!!>

In lugnet.football, Kerry Raymond writes:

"Casper van Nimwegen" <neverroads@soneramail.nl> wrote in message
As far as I know it, the game is called Football in England, Fußbal in
Germany and where I'm from, The Netherlands, voetbal

Most countries use the term football... so why not the rest of the world?

There are many sports which feature contact between the foot and the ball.
In Australia, the popular foot-and-ball sports are historically rugby
league, rugby union, and Australian Rules (depending on where you live).
Hence the term "football" is associated with those sports in our country.
Although soccer is enjoying increasing popularity here in Australia, it is
certainly not the most popular foot-and-ball sport Australia-wide. Similar
arguments apply in the USA and other countries.

In the presence of so many foot-and-ball sports, the continued use of the
term "football" inevitably leads to the ambiguity and confusion that is
already occurring on LUGnet. It would make more sense to give each sport a
unique name to avoid this. Since "association football" is a bit of a
mouthful, I think "soccer" is a very suitable abbreviation. Therefore, I
would commend the use of the term "soccer" to the English, the Germans, and
the Netherlanders, in the interests of more effective global communication.

Kerry