 Local / Australia / 2364
Re: Web fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:24:54 GMT

Well, for me, it's having to learn this HTML jargon, but the major headache
is having to find some way of getting parts for creations, then there's the
shooting, developing, scanning, and whatever else it is you have to do with
images before you can actually publish them.  That plus a lot of whatever
else people have said ...  :o)

I would love to go mad building LEGO creations, if only I had the budget for
it ...  *Opens wallet, extracts notes, pays bills*  Currently limited to the
occasional LEGO kit of ~$50 or less, plus whatever I can afford to get in
trades.  I am hoping for a splurge soon though.  :o)

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Paul Baulch <paul@vic.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Richard Parsons wrote in message ...

For mine, I'm still building and webbing and all that.  And I find myself
wondering how come with all the AustralianFOLs we have posting (40 odd?) • there
are yet only seven websites.  As I understand it, most ISPs give away • free
hosting space, and there is much web help to be had - so...

  What is it that keeps the number of websites down?

From my own experience, I would say: A combination of sheer laziness, the
heady distractions of real life, and most importantly, the tendency to end
up building new creations instead of photographing completed ones :-)

From talking with others, however, it seems that not a lot of people have
access to scanners or digital cameras, or if they do (and would have the
initiative to use them) they don't realise how straightforward it is to
create one's own free website at a place like Geocities or Fortune City or
Xoom (although I'm not quite sure whether the last one is actually free) • and
whack the pictures there for the world to see.
My site is at (Yahoo-)Geocities, they give you 10 megabytes of space for
free and send you a fairly innocuous "newsletter" every couple of months.
It's easy to do, my site was up and running only ten minutes after the
account was created (but then I'm a Photoshop wizard ;-).

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/