 Local / Australia / 1919
RE: Review of 7131 Anakin's Podracer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 00:08:53 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Kerry Raymond [mailto:kerry@dstc.edu.au]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 10:19 AM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Review of 7131 Anakin's Podracer

I finally remembered! I wanted them for forks on a forklift!

Well, I'd be interested in seeing this work. Could you let
me know how
much
load they can take before they colapse [brick weight, not • nessecarily in
grams/kilograms]...the hinges don't seem to be able to take
a great load

At the time I bought the set, I didn't realise the banana
peels were hinged.
And yes, as hinged pieces, they do collapse immediately if you put any
significant pressure on them. However, they can be attached
to another brick
below; they are 4 anti-studs (what's the technical word for
the things that
studs connected into?). So my plan was not to connect it with
its hinge but
to put a longer 1xN plate underneath and do the main
connection that way.
That should not spoil the look of the fork and should make the fork
stronger.

However, as the fork will only be partially supported (there
will be nothing
under the pointed end,  I think too much load at the front
will still cause
the fork to flip off the plate below. So it might be necessary to
cross-brace it above (there are 4 studs on top) with another
long 1xN plate.
If the top plate was yellow, I don't think it would spoil the
appearance too
much, but alas, I don't have a yellow one long enough, so I
might have to
sacrifice appearance for strength.

Kerry

How about using a couple of 1x2 plate hinges [2 1x2 plates linked at the
ends] on the top of the forks [one on each] as well as the plate, or another
hinge underneath...it should look better, and still have a similar strength
to adding long plates on top [and if you use plates, what's the use of the
banana skins?]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)