 Local / Australia / 1778
Re: GST - first taste test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 03:25:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:
Dateline: Penrith (NSW) 01/07/2000 11amish

Just done the usual rounds,

Grace Bros were just starting on Lego repricing, so without a hand scanner,
there was not much point in a price survey - I shall return.

Target - shelf tickets were newish, shelves were rearranged and the neatest
i have seen them, but post-GST shelf tickets were not on yet, onward to the
wall mounted scanner, well Bull's attack down to $93+ from $95+, Slave $54+
from $55+, looks like 2% generally (hmmmm....)

Big W - as James had spotted, shelf ticketing was completed here as well,
prices were down 5-10% from normal prices (which is 10% below retail as is),
even the impulse sets on special went down to $1.76 (from $1.88).
So it seems Big W have done the right thing.

W4K - shelf ticketing completed, 5% across the board, 7171 down now to
$89+ from $94.40 (clearance price).

TRU - had to resort to the wall scanner as shelf ticketing was in the process,
things seemed only to go down a couple of percent, certainly nowhere near
5%, MTT is now in stock there. Only a few soccer buses (which went down 60c)
left, no other soccer stock and the holes where it was aren't there.
Could those soccer sets have been a short-lived promo ?
For those Technic lovers, the 8448 was on short term special of $156.
So check your local TRU if interested, since the 8480 specials 6 months ago,
varied store to store.
TRU had impulse sets down to $2.62 (woop,woop probably get their stock at
Big W).

So maybe Target deserves a visit from the ACCC.
My overall opinion is back to shopping habits as before, wait for the sales.

(dollar values above are Australian dollars, well it is loc.au!)
pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au> (anyone been to a Toyworld/Toy Kingdom?)

Have just returned from Parramatta and the news is equally mixed (but
generally not startling). GB's had not completed the ticketing of LEGO, but
the shop assistant said that all the new prices were in the computer but the
prices hadn't dropped by much. A visit to Target and their scanners revealed a
drop of about 4%.

Good news on BigW. Looks like they're about to get raidd by AFOL's around the
country if they're the only ones who are sensible about this GST thing,
particularly the Impulse sets. Might have to get a few more before I leave
(but don't tell Kris!!)

Pete Callaway (who should probably start packing - 4 days and counting)