 Local / Australia / 1612
Re: Newbie with questions -- severely off-topic now!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 07:05:06 GMT

They visit deceased relatives and have picnics in the graveyards.

Hmm, visited any Australian cemeteries lately? We do that here too! Mother's
Day and Father's Day can be quite busy days for it, but most weekends you
will find fairly high levels of activity in our cemeteries, especially if
the weather is nice. I don't know about weekdays, since I only go myself at
weekends.

Idea was pinched from New Orleans/Rio Mardi Gras (another import)

True, but the Australian version has the Gay-n-Lesbian twist to it that the
New Orleans and Rio ones don't. And, it is something that is genuinely
celebrated here, as opposed to Halloween, which is very much a direct copy
of Halloween "as seen on TV".

Anyway, (to bring this all back onto topic), what would we do to create an
Aussie Lego day of national celebration?

Model building relay teams?
Build a replica Opera House?
Link Australia with a giant connected strand of Lego?
Have cult screenings of Star Wars where people come with the Star Wars sets
and MOCs?

In 1901 we celebrated Federation by building arches in the main streets of
towns and cities. Perhaps we ought to do something similar for the centenary
of federation, but in Lego?

Kerry