 Local / Australia / 1596
Re: Newbie with questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:23:14 GMT

So I'm not the only one who knows more strine than "G'day"..Strewth, and
here was me thinking I was alone :) [It's a real pity they don't teach
Strine in schools, I reckon. I know I'd rather they taught this than
teaching children mis-spelt American[1] words and American sayings.]

In particular, I dislike our schools doing regular Halloween things each
year as many have started doing (due to the influence of American TV, no
doubt). I have no problems with schools talking about Halloween as part of
understanding someone else's culture, but I'm totally opposed to seeing
Australian kids going trick-or-treating.

[1] American as in U.S.A. I don't want to offend someone from anywhere • else
in America by implying everyone there is a 'Yank'.

Perhaps we should revise the charters of all the Australian LUGnet groups to
require all postings to be written in Australian! That'll keep the septic
tanks out!

Kerry