 Local / Australia / 1558
Re: The lowdown on Lego Shows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.au.wa.per
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:48:02 GMT

Hi all,

    Dont bust a gut to get there. Had probably 20 seperate displays
featuring islanders, pirates, starwars. First night had a very large
turnout. Was abviously aimed at the cosumers and not the collector (duh!)
Didn't get a chance to speak to any Lego Staff. All seemed to be Myer staff.
So couldn't get answer about other shows. Sorry!

Myers were giving away coke and some food. Large queues to get served for
the 20% off goodies. First time I had seen all the lastest sets in one
place. Had all the mindstorms range and the very latest starwars and what
seem to be all the soccer sets. 4 buses etc. Braith can probably add more
detail. It was good to finally meet Braith in person. (sorry I was late!.
Freeway is crap when it first rains)

I grabbed the base Soccer set 3409 and a Bus 3404 and a lighting tower 3402
and one expansion set 3410 . Also some new budget sets adventurers 5903 and
5904.  about $85 after %20 off. Discount applies for the duration of the
display.

The Tidman brothers were there added more to their already vast collection.
:)

No trains that I could see.

The rugrats are enjoying the soccer sets. They are better than I expected.
Will have to get another base set thought to make a decent ground.

Cheers for now

Terry Mason

James Howse <jehowse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Any chance you'd be able to find out if/when it will be in the eastern
states [Vic, Tas, NSW, QLD]? [Also, and info about sets they're selling
would be appreciated [I remember that when they used to have world shows • in
Myers, Melbourne you could buy all sorts of 'old' sets in the shop at the
end of the pathway.]]

OK I've just talked to LA and the lowdown is this... It's not their ball.
It's up to particular places to organse/request/make room for. Currently • the
only other place it's going to is

Pacific Fair Gold Coast sometime in Sept-Oct

Followed by(possibly)Melbourne (Myer?) but this has NOT be confirmed from • the
Melbourne end.

The last one in Sydney was in the Centrepoint, apparently it's one of the • few
places that has room. But currently there's been no interest for here.

I did ask how much it cost but the lady said "I couldn't go into that"

The Lego World Show will be kicking off at The Myer City
store between the 23rd of June to the 16th of July on the second floor
direct from LEGOLAND in the UK.
This is the first time it's comming to Australia for the
first time in 20 years.

James (who's off to save money for a Gold Coast ticket...)