 Local / Australia / 1488
Re: Ruckus over in Lego Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:33:23 GMT

It seems rather odd in the country areas.  I live in Mareeba, and the local
Toyworld store told me LEGO doesn't sell much here in Mareeba, however, in
nearby Atherton, they sell a lot more LEGO.  Go figure.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Whytcross, Benjamin <BWhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au> wrote in message
news:1D0812CAE3E7D2118BCD00805FA76DEB022A4EF6@gw-exg-ne01.pacificaccess.com.
au...
-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Callaway [mailto:pcallaway@bmcl.com.au]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 9:41 AM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Ruckus over in Lego Direct

In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
Very interesting. And the bricks/plates available are neat too.
I've already got pictures of a Lego blue-white XPT train in my head.

So whats the general synopsis? do we wait until later this • year? or do we
begin hunting for partners in the US to pass on our • (BULK!=discount) orders
right away?

Santosh

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:
While you were sleeping.........
Brad J's popped up again with some news in Lego Direct.
Australia and New Zealand even get a mention of sorts.
Prices and images for US and Canada (LSAH) are at Lego's site.

Yep, I'd say let it go for a while. The American's are still
wiping the drool
from their faces over this, so I doubt we'd be high on their
priority list
until they've drained the current world stocks of ABS.

Given the speed of which LD has come about, Brad's
end-of-year prediction
seems a bit optimistic to me, but I hope I'm proven wrong. You'd think
Australia was located on the dark side of the moon with all
the comments
regarding how difficult it is to ship stuff here.

And LEGO Australia? Sometimes I get the impression that their
knowledge about
their product amounts to "LEGO? Isn't that some kind of pasta sauce?"

Agreed...Strange...They've only got one or two customer service people, x
sales reps [who seem to target the larger stores, and only visit smaller
stores after prompting from the stores managers] and an unknown number of
managers and shipping people, and they wonder why people don't show • interest
in lego. If they could
[1] get more customer service people.
[2] have their sales reps focus on smaller toy shops/potential toy shops
[after all, quite a lot of children go to smaller toy shops with their
parents, and I've been seeing a trend towards these stores stopping • stocking
lego]
[3] notify people if they are going to have special sets only available • from
customer service [world club is a perfect way]
[4] actually get people from the community involved in set choice [not
neccesarily lugnet, either]
[5] introduce senior personel to lugnet [or at least .loc.au] to help them
make decisions based on what people wnat, and not what they want people to
want.
These measures should [almost certainly would] increase sales.

[and if/when the senior people learn about us, maybe they'll see if we'll • be
interested in working with them to promote LEGO...which we would do quite
willingly, I believe]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)