 Local / Australia / 13257
Re: Leviathan 2005 (cool :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:27:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

A bunch of Studs turned out Saturday and Sunday at Leviathan, the annual
festival of the Western Suburbs Game Society, presenting Lego for wargaming,
with demonstration BrikWars games for any members of the public who wanted to
sign on.

Big thanks to Neil and Robb who organised, to James who desperately deserves
some sort of bravery medal for his gamemastering efforts, and to Ryan, who
qualified perhaps not as Gamemaster, but most certainly as Gameapprentice.

There was essentially a large indoor basketball court, with stage attached,
filled with vendors and gaming (and us in one corner by the main food store with
about 6sqm of display space), plus a half dozen of the classroms of the Quakers
Hill Public High School given over to tournament play of a variety of miniature
and board wargaming.

Interest was surprisingly high (and its always nice when you put out your stuff
and people ooo and ahhh over it).  At Robb's suggestion, we had put a little
effort into WH40k lego style, and it worked a treat, with plenty of folks
walking up and saying "Cool, Terminators!", "Look, there's a Typhoon" etc.

Gave out plenty of flyers spruiking BrikWars, Lugnet (and of course Port Block
;-), and Robb took details of 8 or so folks who say they would like to come
along to out next fest whenever and wherever that may be.

It was my first public fest, and there was a lot to be learned in the direction
of Brickvention, in terms of managing people, space, and advertising.  It was
also clear to see that the WSGS folks are well networked with a variety of
helpful folk (2 sets of food folks, face painters, Xbox people etc).  I'll jot
down my own thoughts, but it would probably be worthwhile to try to set up a
coffee with whoever convened the affair.  On the whole I was quite impressed.

And in the meantime I had a great time.

Thanks gang!

Richard
Still baldly going...

Hi Legophiles,

Well, what can I say, Terrific, Fantastic, or as my daughter would say "Really
Bad" meaning good of course!  Thats how great the LEGO representation at
Leviathan was.
Thanks to Neil for initiating this day for us and Richard, James & Ryan for
coming along with models, running Brickwars demos, and fielding questions from
the public.  Well done guys!

The highlights of the weekend were undoubtedly the Warhammer™ models by James,
Richard and Ryan.  Quite a few people wanted to know where to buy them - they
were so professional.  Neil contributed some of the latest Starwars™ models and
I displayed some WW1 models and a custom Grenadier in full dress 1804-05 from
the French Imperial Guard.

Visitors were impressed with the versatility and variety of modeling and as
Richard delighted in saying to people throughout the weekend ".. and when you're
finished with it you just pull it apart and make something else" much to the
chargin of modelers that had spent hundreds of hours on a detailed trooper or
landspeeder.

The passion ran so high that several visitors returned home and collected their
creations to bring and show, everything from covered wagons to radio controlled
Starwars™ models.  Thanks David and Steve, we want to see more of our good work.

I have about 12MB of photos of the day, but, how do I display them on this
forum? Anyone?  or I can e-mail them to those that are interested, just let me
know.

Thanks again to everyone, especially to Ryan who helped with the Ewok™ tree
house on the diorama. (I never was much good at 'cubby houses').

So, when, where, what is the next meet.  We have 6 new potential members who
would like to come along.

Robb.