 Local / Australia / 12600
12599  |  12601
Subject:
B1,Duplo and National Geographic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 04:09:36 GMT

The February 1988 edition of National Geographic (Vol. 173, NO. 2) was wholly
devoted to things Australian, due to the Bicentennial activities of that year.
On page 191 there is a photo of the Prime Minister of the time, Bob Hawke,
described in the caption as "former Rhodes scholar and 1954 world beer-drinking
champion". Bob is pictured with scissors, his wife at that time (Hazel) is
pictured with a cloth of some sort, at their feet an assortment of Duplo
elements.

Were they planning some modifications to the Duplo elements, Brasso isn't
in eyesight but can't be far away, printed Duplo being some of the daggiest in
the LEGO universe. We are all aware of the sad demise of their marriage, did
one party become a LEGO purist and come to frown on the customisation antics of
the other. Or did Bob upon witnessing the LEGO golden age of the early 1990s,
just want to get his hands on B2's new set ? We may never know.

pete.w (bring on the Republic, whatever that is)