 Local / Australia / 1256
Re: Ruckus over in Lego Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:15:04 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

So whats the general synopsis? do we wait until later this year? or do we
begin hunting for partners in the US to pass on our (BULK!=discount) • orders
right away?

Given the speed of which LD has come about, Brad's end-of-year prediction
seems a bit optimistic to me, but I hope I'm proven wrong. You'd think
Australia was located on the dark side of the moon with all the comments
regarding how difficult it is to ship stuff here.

Yes, I read the message as an attempt to soft-soap Australians. I suspect
the reality is that Lego Australia probably has the exclusive rights to be
the Australian wholesaler, and that Lego Australia has got to decide that
bulk ordering will be profitable for them. Given that Australia has a
relatively small population and that bulk ordering is probably primarily
aimed at the AFOLs rather than Mums and Dads buying presents for the kids, I
wonder if there really is a viable market for bulk ordering here in
Australia. I suspect they will want to see which bulk packs sell well
overseas before deciding anything about Australia.

Having looked at the Lego Direct Web page (http://www.lego.com/bulk/) I have
to admit that the current selection of packs doesn't have a lot of appeal to
me (given my interest lies mostly in technics). In particular, my mind
boggles about the pack of 25 small spruce trees! Are these items really in
such huge demand? (Genuine question)

Kerry, Kerry, Kerry,
we won't invite you around for the next BrikWars then ;^)
How else are people meant to make forests !
This is coming from a castleish perspective.

pete.w