 Local / Australia / 1228
RE: Just bought the Football sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:21:22 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter White [mailto:aztekium@optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 9:53 AM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Just bought the Football sets

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:

And the prices on them are fantastic too! So the potential • for making a
stadium are very plausible!!

Just when confidence in Lego Australia was at a low, they
show us some
respite.
Good one LA.

I think it's time to stick it to the real problem.
Our government/s State and Federal that tax everything that moves.
Brad mentioned in his post about Customs and shipping • being problems.
There is really no reason for TLC to single out Australians
or the British
as a market to milk.

True, the government does tax highly...but if LA can get the • soccer sets
[that we weren't going to be getting] into the country, and • can sell them at
this price when they were originally going to be $115 or so, • it begins to
look like it's not only the government contributing to the • high prices
[although I'm willing to be corrected on this if someone • from TLG/LA can
show me the figures regarding the price drop]. Also, if • Australia is such a
small market for lego, and the US is such a large market, • why couldn't TLG
add a small surcharge [10-50 cents] to the prices of sets in • the US, and use
this to help lower the costs in Australia [or with a • slightly higher markup,
the rest of the world]. This would assist lego in their aim • to become the
top kids toy by 2005 [unless that is a US only aim] allow • them to increase
sales, and get more people interested in lego..and the • americans probably
wouldn't even notice the small price rise.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. [do I round up or down when the GST • comes in?]

But if each Lego subsidiary is treated separatedly, why
should one subsidise
the other. Next thing you will want a player draft for the footie ;^)
At least Brad gave us a mention, I wasn't expecting one.

Ahh....I think LA is still a subsection of Lego OS [Overseas?], so then we
should look at whoever is in charge of that area for this...

Anyway, this argument is doomed, as Lego NA [north america] is seeming to be
trying to take over globally [that little mention of S@H available
world-wide, when quite a few of the sets offered there currently are
produced in the US for the US market alone]. Either that, or TLG are trying
to amalgamate the areas [EU, OS, NA, LO(?), ...] into INT [international] as
shown by the 1 page catalogues] and wish to keep the large range that the US
has enjoyed for years so that the US market doesn't drop. I'm thinking TLG
may decide to start producing lego in this corner of the world, if only for
the fact that when LD is operating overseas and not in Australia that
someone will start selling LD sets/packs to Aussies, and that LA's sales may
very well drop. The only way to counter this would be for LA to reduce the
prices so that the difference between Australias prices and the cost to get
a set shipped from overseas is reduced significantly, and to do this they'd
need a manufacturing plant in the region.

As to our mention...Maybe, just maybe we were a contributing factor in the
delay of LD, with Brad trying to:
[1] work out where we actually are :)
[2] trying to contact LA
[3] trying to get some information out of LA about costs, taxes, sales and
the like.
[ BTW, I'm not holding my breath over the LD in Aus this year bit. The one
thing I can't understand is why they couldn't start it out with the items
being shipped from the US [with a limit on order size, so as to reduce
customs fees] to anywhere around the world [postage varying based on country
of destination] and from there work out which markets would be best to have
their own distribution points. Maybe LA have some secret contract to be the
sole suppliers of lego to Australia ? (It is possible)]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)