 Local / Australia / 11221
Re: $265+ the going price for 8461?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:25:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:

Saw this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3137978770&category=11
86

$265 + shipping and counting for a Williams F1 Racer in Australia. There
seem to be plenty of these left in shops around Melbourne and I have plenty
in stock at BrickNet. Is anyone finding a "shortage" of these in their
area?

When it comes to Lego, Ebay seems to be awash with people willing to paying
more than at their local KMart. Why? I don't know. Maybe they don't get time
to shop. Probably they don't read lugnet.loc.au to learn about all the
specials around the place ("the beast with a thousand eyes" as the
lately-somewhat-silent Pete White says). Personally I have an ethical
problem with people reselling such widely-available sale items; I don't buy
the "I'm just providing a service" line when the item is on sale in a major
chain around the country. If they really wanted to "provide a service", then
let their description mention the sale price at KMart so that any bidders
are people who genuinely cannot purchase at a local KMart. I know that a
fool and their money are soon parted, but that doesn't mean I have to
approve of the people who seek to profit in this way. I don't have a problem
with people knowingly paying a premium for a real service (e.g. greater
convenience, parting-out, providing difficult-to-obtain items).

However, it seems that while the bidding on this F1 Racer may have stopped
at $265, I notice that the winning bidder has been given negative feedback
from the seller saying they didn't pay. So, perhaps the seller has received
their just reward! (Not that I approve of non-paying bidders, either).

Steps down off soapbox ...

Kerry

I couldnt agree more........... Parting these sets and selling the parts
individually may be OK, or even selling them with a Buy It Now price (sale value
from K-Mart, etc). Just watching some on E-Bay pay up to $115 for 6291 which was
almost at $40 only a month ago at any local K-Mart. This should be Illegal, but
who is here to Govern such greedy actions??? What is more suprising is that
people actually pay these ridiculous prices, Im not talking about international
buyers, but locals here in Australia. Just crazy.....

However, after saying all this, the value in a lot of these discontinued sets
are getting quite ridiculous, it is slowly becoming a rich mans hobby,
espacially, if you have a passion for the old train sets, which is my main
weakness, sob, sob>>>>

Cheers,

Dave