 Local / Australia / 11220
Re: $265+ the going price for 8461?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:33:48 GMT

Saw this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3137978770&category=11
86

$265 + shipping and counting for a Williams F1 Racer in Australia. There
seem to be plenty of these left in shops around Melbourne and I have • plenty
in stock at BrickNet. Is anyone finding a "shortage" of these in their
area?

When it comes to Lego, Ebay seems to be awash with people willing to paying
more than at their local KMart. Why? I don't know. Maybe they don't get time
to shop. Probably they don't read lugnet.loc.au to learn about all the
specials around the place ("the beast with a thousand eyes" as the
lately-somewhat-silent Pete White says). Personally I have an ethical
problem with people reselling such widely-available sale items; I don't buy
the "I'm just providing a service" line when the item is on sale in a major
chain around the country. If they really wanted to "provide a service", then
let their description mention the sale price at KMart so that any bidders
are people who genuinely cannot purchase at a local KMart. I know that a
fool and their money are soon parted, but that doesn't mean I have to
approve of the people who seek to profit in this way. I don't have a problem
with people knowingly paying a premium for a real service (e.g. greater
convenience, parting-out, providing difficult-to-obtain items).

However, it seems that while the bidding on this F1 Racer may have stopped
at $265, I notice that the winning bidder has been given negative feedback
from the seller saying they didn't pay. So, perhaps the seller has received
their just reward! (Not that I approve of non-paying bidders, either).

Steps down off soapbox ...

Kerry