 LEGOLAND / California / 526
Re: Family trip
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 18:54:46 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.california, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.legoland.california, John Hansen writes:
I'm planning a long (long) drive from Nashville to San Diego to take my kids
to Legoland in a couple weeks.  It'll be just me and 4 children ranging from
14 to 8.  We'll be in the area Tuesday night, May 27th, through Friday
morning, May 30th.  I've made reservations at the Residence Inn San Diego
Mission Valley/Sea World area for $143/night.  But we're now debating
whether to campout at least 2 of those nights at the South Carlsbad State
Beach.  Can anyone from the area give me some ideas about whether that is a
safe thing to do?

As far as I know it is safe. I believe during the first Brickswest some of
the people stayed there. But as Bill pointed out there is a motel 6 real
close to LLCA and I think if you check their site you can get some specials
- http://motel6.com/

It will likely be our only trip to the San Diego area for a good long while.
I'm debating also whether to take the kids to Tijuana for a brief visit.
Sea World is an option.  As is a trip to Disneyland.  Or we could spend both
days at Legoland.

Well - TJ is an experience all in itself... it is something to see, its
probally something much different that you are used to from Nashville thats
for sure. It is not the cleanest or safest place - and do not drink the
water there if you go. You may want to take that into consideration ;)

Sea World - hmmmm. I used to work there and I honestly do not see why people
would go there. But then again I do not like fish, and thats all I smelled
there was fish, so that may be tinting my views on the place. I think of it
as a big aquarium store that you have to pay $40 to get into.

Disneyland - Great place. But spend your time in Disneyland, do not bother
with the California Adventure park (if your time is limited). And there is a
Lego store in the shopping area outside of Disneyland! We just went there 2
weeks ago and it was great (both Disneyland and the Lego store).

So basically, if your choices are TJ, Sea World, and Disneyland in addition
to LLCA - I would say go to Disneyland - no doubt about it.

And if you are spending 2 days at LLCA, make sure you get the 2 day passes -
A one day ticket for an adult is $41.95 and a 2 day ticket is only $49.95 -
WELL worth the extra few bucks. Disneyland does not really have a 2 day
special (one day, one park is $47, 2 days two parks is $99...) And that
would be qitute a drive if you are staying in Mission Valley (between 1.5
and 2 hours each way). Legoland will only be about 30-45 mins from Mission
Valley. Sea World is about 10-15 mins from Mission Valley, and TJ is about
20-30 mins from Mission Valley (add 30 mins to get across the border - DO
NOT DRIVE into TJ!!)

We'll have late Tuesday evening, all day Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday
morning until perhaps 1pm or so to do things in the San Diego area before
we'll be heading off toward the Grand Canyon.

If you like museums there is a bunch of stuff in Balboa Park in downtown,
next to the zoo (its a really good zoo).
http://www.balboapark.org/
http://sandiegozoo.org/

There is also Seaport Village - nice little area right on the water - and
your chances to see some huge military ship going by are really good. I
never seem to get tired of Seaport Village, lots of touristy type of shops
there also.
http://seaportvillage.com/

If the Padres are in town you can go see them, you can get real good tickets
on the day of the game also! Its great having a last palce team in town. But
this is also the last year they will be playing in their current stadium -
so its a bit of history there... but you would need to be a pretty big
baseball fan for that ;)

There is a ton of other stuff to do in SD - this page may help you out:
http://sandiego.citysearch.com/section/hotels_visitors/
lots of good info there.

heh, sorry is some of the info seems jumbled together - just typed as stuff
came to mind :) If you have any further questions about anything here in SD
feel free to ask!

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com

John,
South Carlsbad State Beach is a great place to camp.  It is very close to LLCA.
The only problem might be with reservations.  Check out the web site:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=660

I'm sure you and your kids will enjoy Southern California.  Sounds like a great
trip.

Enjoy!

Irv Stafford  (So. Calif. AFOL)