 LEGOLAND / California / 370
369  |  371
Subject:
Legoland CA + New Years Eve = FLOP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 04:12:54 GMT

Just got back from Legoland's New years celebration, and as I wait for the
wife to get ready for our next party I will give a summary on the events there.

Basically, it was a flop, and a very big flop.

It was set-up ok, nothing real special. There was the stage by the clubhouse
that they were using. They had a brick that they were going to to the
countdown and drop with. The set-up looked very cheap, but still had
possibilities. As the celebration went along (it was only people randomly
running around dancing to cds that were skipping at points) they were still
working on the brick, as if they had not taken the time beforehand to set it
up and test it. There was an annoying "radio" guy around asking the kids
what their resultions were, and was making fun of them as he went along.
This is not something I found to be approiate, when you are asking kids what
their resoultion is and sticking a microphone and a camera with a bright
light in their face - what do you expect? One girl said she wanted the war
to stop and her dad to come home (this is San Diego), and the guy made fun
of her!! WHAT?!?! Granted the girl did not speak very clearly, but still he
was rude. If this is Legolands idae of humor, they really need to take
anoter look, a very hard look. Well it was getting close to 6pm (the time
they set as THE time and the frantic work still went on the brick, there
were times it lighted up with the '2002' lit up, little did I know these
random flashes was going to be the only time w would see the '2002' lit up.
As 6pm came they half-heartedly started the countdown, and the brick was not
moving, not at all. As 6pm came the brick was still there at the top of the
pole, dark and still. The MC's did an ok job of playing it off, but it
seemed they were not really sure as to what to do, so they did what they
were doing the entire time, just randomly running around doing random
things. Now it was time for the fireworks, the MC's directed our attention
to the area directly behind the clubhouse and said 'Here they are' and
nothing, kinda like the brick. ABout 30 seconds later the fireworks started,
but not behind the clubhouse, they were more behind the bricks brothers
store (to the right of where they had us looking) The fireworks seemed to go
on forever, but this was not really a good thing. But it was the best part
of the celebration, and the MC's were still running around randomly, just
like they were ding for the last 2 hours.

As we were leaving we saw a line to get into the park, we asked what it was
fro, there was some charity thing - for an additional $20 you got to go back
into the park untill 12:30, no thanks!

The best part of the night was we got to spend it together as a family
before us adults went off to our own party, which should be good. But
Legoland really did not have their act together at all tonight, I am really
dissapointed in them.

Does anybody have pics of this?

Tom