 LEGOLAND / 272
271  |  273
Subject:
Ambassador Pass Master Model Building Session
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:20:46 GMT

I recently upgraded my annual pass at Legoland California to an Ambassador
(lifetime) pass. One of the Ambassador pass perks is an exclusive annual
building session with a Master Model Builder. This years building sessions were
scheduled September 13, 14, 20 & 21. There were two, two hour sessions scheduled
each day. Members signed up in advance for the session of their choice.

The sessions were conducted at the Magic Theatre in the park. I was very
surprised that there were 30-40 people attending the session, including many
AFOLs. We began in the theatre with a slide presentation on the recent
renovation of the Washington DC section of miniland. The presentation was well
done, and quite interesting. The whole section had been removed down to the
dirt. New electrical conduit was laid, and concrete poured for the building
foundations. All of the buildings were reused, after being blasted with finely
ground walnut shells to restore the original colors by removing the faded outer
surfaces. All of the vehicles, miniland figures, and two bridges were replaced.
Washington DC will be one of the permanent sections of miniland. Other sections
will be renovated in the future, while others will be replaced by new regional
depictions.

After the presentation and a Q&A session, we went outside where tables were set
up with trays of Lego elements. In the past, each attendee built a small Lego
model unique to the session. This year we all built a miniland scale figure of
our own design. There were several sample figures on each table for reference.
Three Master Model Builders were at the session and offered pointers as
necessary. Naturally, they especially made themselves available to the younger
members to ensure they had a model to take home that they could be proud of.

I enjoyed building the miniland figure more than I expected. It was fun to have
so many parts readily available, and to experiment with different designs and
building methods. We all gained an appreciation for the real talent that goes
into building miniland, and the work it takes to give each of the miniland
figures their unique personality. All in all, quite a fun event. Thank you LLCA!