 LEGOLAND / 198
197  |  199
Subject:
LEGOLAND...Simply Amazing!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:57:13 GMT

Hi everyone!

I thought I would express my opinion of LEGOLAND California.  I left on a
Friday morning with a return home on Sunday because of summer classes
starting for me on Monday.  We (me, my mom, and my nephew)got there midday
on Friday but figured there wouldn't be much time to see the park.  We got
up early on Saturday and got there an hour after the park opened.  Walking
in I had no clue as to where I should start.  There are very distinct areas
in the park though.  Lots of shops and eating places are all over the
place...all themed.  There is an Aquazone area with a water ride which
looked fun.  Mindstorms building (which didn't interest me).  A build and
test building which was very cool.  A Technic area with a rollercoaster type
ride.  The Castle area which was VERY fun.  Lots of stuff going on there.  I
went on the Dragon rollercoaster with my nephew and it was a good
time...even for adults.  Very short but rather entertaining.  On the
opposite side of the park was a Duplo area which wasn't that interesting for
me.  Close to the Duplo area was a waterworks where kids can wear bathing
suits and step on buttons which causes water to shoot in the air.  Everyone
was getting wet.

The park was absolutely FILLED with rides.  There are lots of
rollercoasters, lots of areas that overlook the park, a boat ride which lets
you see the Sydney Opera House, Mt. Rushmore, New York Skyline, the Taj
Mahal, the Eiffel Tower, as well as MANY sculptures.  The boat ride was a
great time the first time.  Our tour guide was hilarious and told jokes all
the time.  The second time we had this girl who sounded like she was reading
from a piece of paper...no enthusiasm at all.

In the center of LEGOLAND was the most phenomenal display I have ever seen
in my life.  It's called "Mini Land" and comprises of a farm/countryside
scene, a harbor area, San Francisco, New York City, New Orleans, and
Washington D.C.  I could write a book just on Mini Land.  I have no clue
where to start.  The size, detail, realism is absolutely phenomenal.  The
country scene had typical country style houses, farm equipment, a farm, and
pick up trucks moving along the streets.  Being from South Dakota, I was
especially amazed at the combine tractor in the field.  EXTREMELY realistic.
The harbor was beautiful.  From the huge cargo ships being loaded up with
cargo to the Coast Guard ship with the helicopter preparing for take off.
There are many boats in the water moving around and again trucks on land
moving cargo.  San Francisco was beautiful...especially the Chinatown area.
Everyone knows that those really skinny houses side by side are basically
the trademark of San Francisco (along with the Goldengate Bridge which is
also there).  The houses are extremely detailed and are great
representations.  New York...what can I say.  The skyline was probably the
most incredible site in Mini Land.  Many of you have the "Ultimate Lego
Book" and Central Station is featured in it with the cutaway view.  That is
included in the scene.  One must realize that these buildings were from 6
feet high to 15 feet high...all out of Lego's.  New Orleans was next and was
gorgeous.  The historic center included buildings with amazing details of
the typical architecture seen on Mardi Gras.  It must have been Mardi Gras
at the time because going around the historical city block, a parade was
going on.  People lined the street cheering and fire breathers and mimes
entertain the crowd.  Finally, Washington D.C.  WOW!  The White House...the
Capital Building...Washington Memorial..etc. etc.  They are ALL there and
you can't imagine how realistic they are.  My favorite site had to be Iwo
Jima.  For those who don't know what that is, it's the view of the several
American soldiers holding up the American flag.  I loved seeing that in
Washington D.C. and to see it in Vegas was spine tingling!

I could not take too many pictures of this because it was too much detail to
capture.  I took 3 rolls of film on the main sites.  I spent 2 hours video
taping Mini Land and it still got dark on me.  I found out about Mini Land
too late.  I could have spent the entire day just video taping it.  Mainly
because I am a Town fanatic I could have spent the entire LEGOLAND trip just
looking at all the details.  I must emphasize that the details are not just
in the Lego's themselves.  The landscaping was amazing.  Scaled trees, real
grass...it all just added to the realism like you wouldn't believe.  There
are historical markers set up all around the cities to tell you exactly
what's going on.

What was really breathtaking in my opinion was New York and Washington D.C.
at NIGHT.  They are all lit up with huge billboards on Times Square, the
brilliant colors on the streets, etc.  Of course that's just New York.  The
dramatic lighting on the White House, the Washington Memorial, the Lincoln
Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, and especially the Capital.  For those who
have been to Washington D.C., you know how moving the sites are at night.
It's deeply effecting and the same effect is evident even in Lego's.

I should probably stop writing now.  I could write a ton more but I shall
spare you every little detail.  For those of you who love Lego's as much as
I do be prepared to spend a little more for a 3 day pass.  The sculptures
and sites are amazing.  You will not be disappointed.  For me, this is only
going to be the beginning.  Next stop...Denmark! :-)

Thanks for reading.  Take care.

Brendan