 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 965
964  |  966
Subject:
Ideas! (Was Re: S@H bulk pages are too slow)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:16:52 GMT

That's interesting.  Using IE 5.5 on my DSL line from home, I have no
complaints
*at all* about the performance of http://shop.lego.com

That said, I think they could take a couple of LARGE hints from well-done
B2C
e-commerce sites like Amazon, etc. and make the site much more customer
friendly, in terms of ease of navigation AND performance.  The cascading
Java menus are a serious waste, and they make navigating the site MORE
difficult (too many levels of cascade, etc.) not less.

If *I* were doing this site, I'd make a series of tabs across the top:
    Baby
    Duplo
    Themes
    Technic
    Video Games
    Bulk/Brick assortments
    Sculpture
    Misc  (for Gear, Books, Watches, and park tickets)

Within each top-level page, I'd present top sellers in each sub-category,
possibly
even keeping track of the current customer's favorites based on past
clicking and/or
buying habits.  What are currently sub-menus would find their way onto the
top-level
pages, etc.  Finally drilling down to a specific set.  I'd allow shoppers to
post reviews
of sets and let other shoppers read the reviews.  I'd also have at least one
LEGO
employee tasked with reading the reviews and generating a monthly report to
Sr.
LEGO management as to what the reviews are saying.    YES, this would
generate
a skewed viewpoint, but I would argue that the skew is to LEGO's benefit
because
the people who have net access and are shopping the LEGO web site:
    1.  Have the money to buy or influence with the people who have the
money to buy
         sets.
    2.  Have enough interest in LEGO to be browsing the web site

If I were running the show, I *might* even ask LUGNET to handle the reviews
part, etc.

Finally, I'd take a page from websites like the barbie site, where my
daughter spends
a great deal of time, and provide services like:

Design your own set
    This could be as simple as selecting the bricks, colors  + quantities,
basically a tweak
    on the current bulk system, or as complex as allowing people to post
MPD/DAT files
    that would generate a set with the necessary pieces and a cool cover
with a rendered image
    of the file.  This would encourage kids + AFOLs to $pend, with the added
benefit of
    encouraging kids and adults to learn CAD with LEGO.

Out of print set ordering
    Set a threshold # of orders required to "resurrect" a set for a
production run, perhaps with
    graded pricing levels (i.e. N orders gets one price, if there are N*2
the price goes down to
    something else, etc. a'la Mercata.com).  The resurrection wouldn't have
to include the box
    printing (huge cost) or even the instruction printing, just the bricks
provide instructions online
    a'la brickshelf.com, the pumpkin, some of the alternate models for
recent sets, etc.
    Doubt me on this LEGO?  Check out the ENORMOUS sums of money people are
willing
    to spend on ebay, etc. for out of print sets.  Wouldn't it be better for
LEGO to get some of
    this money instead of scalpers?  (Forgive the strong word, but that is
what I think people who
    buy up huge quantities of sets for later MISB auctions are,
effectively).

I'm sure others have ideas???

-Peter

"Ice" <icestorm@inwave.com> wrote in message
Christopher Masi wrote:

I just went to the Shop at Home Bulk pages to check the price of the • transparent
thin walls. Wow, is that site slow.

snip...

These pages are so slow that I do not want to access them to do my • shopping.

Chris

I agree too. When web pages are designed to be fancy rather than • functional,
I try not to surf them. Thing is, lego.com doesn't look fancy. It just • takes
forever to look at, and the wait isn't worth it, IMO.

Mark K.