 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 625
Re: 8458 Silver Champion is incredible!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:24:21 GMT

Whoa, what?  Discontinued?  Granted I've only ever seen one 8448 in a brick &
mortar store and that was months ago, but I assumed it would be in the Shop at
Home catalog for the next year at least.  I was going to order one in January
or so, do I need to do it sooner?

Does anyone have a clue as to why 8448 was discontinued so fast?
It was an excellent model well received in the marketplace.
It sold out everywhere as soon as it hit the shelves.  Stores
could not keep it in stock.  TLC apparently spend more effort
marketing it than most products, with a special internet site
and magazine ads.  They could have easially sold three times as many,
if they made another run or two.

Why kill such a successful product so soon?