 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6120
6119  |  6121
Subject:
An open letter to TLG.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:48:16 GMT

I am writing this because I wish to know why TLG are downsizing colors
instead of thinking why can't they utilize mass-production of colors in more
colors?

It seems irrational that they would produce colors in certain rare element
and production run combinations that suggest the only reason they actually
did the colors in the first place was because their contract with (insert
name here) demanded it, and not because they thought they would later
mass-produce the color for all LEGO fans to enjoy.

I atually like a lot of the new colors that have come out from TLG's molds,
and I would like to see more of them come out, however, I must say this
color palette reduction did at first seem like a pretty good idea, although
I then realized a lot of colors one could collect parts for MOCs in would
suddenly disappear off the face of the LEGOverse forever.  What will be
next, though, reduction of the number of element molds kept available for
molding plastic with?

Before TLG finalize the 56 color list they have decided to keep I wish to
request that LEGO please release and show named samples of all the colors
they are planning on keeping in that list.  I know it might be easy for
experienced LEGO sellers to pick colors out but sometimes it is not too easy
for me to know what color is what, and I would like official LEGO names for
all 56 colors you plan on keeping permanently.

Secondly, I would like LEGO to take submissions on the rest of the colors,
and see if there is a sufficiently high demand for any of the discontinued
colors that LEGO may in the future consider making a very-large-scale
production run of these colors, in quantities and elements typical of what
people would like them available in.

I realize there is someone in TLG whose job it is to say what the final
production runs are, but I am wondering if the small quantity of some of the
colors TLG has produced have actually contributed to the problem, instead of
someone at TLG asking themselves why can't we mass-produce these colors like
we do for common yellow 1xn, 2xn bricks, plates etc?

I am hoping to see a good selection of 56 colors, if that is really what TLG
decides they want to do but I fear that halving your color palette may leave
some budding MOC builders left wondering how they're going to complete their
MOC in a relatively rare color, and whether they thought the investement of
money and scavenging store shelves is worth the extra effort needed to
produce a MOC that will eventually be torn apart again because of the demand
for unobtainable rare colors.

Wishing TLG and employees well for the Xmas and New Year season,

Geoffrey Hyde