 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6077
6076  |  6078
Subject:
Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:46:11 GMT

I was trying to do one of Lego's surveys, but only to state my opinion about the
present of the company. And it didn't workout, I got stuck and had to abandon,
that's why I write here, which in turn I relize is the only thing I can do
because my message is too long for a 'customer service' e-mail.
What I just want to say (and it would be nice to be heard) is that the ones who
make decisions at Lego keep missing the point: Lego is not about clubs,
benefits, and 'cool' things... the only thing that matters, where the
intelligence and success only can be meaured is in the SETS. LEGO IS THE SETS
AND THAT ONLY.
I started using Legos when I was six, my first set was LegolandSpace
920. Back then there was no internet, there weren't any clubs and in any
case it wouldn't have mattered, the sets were incredible and caught my
imagination in such a way that I couldn't stop building, inventing new
spaceships. I have been a part of Lego for more than twenty years.
Now I'm an architect and a few years ago I realize I could reconnect with
Lego and even use it in architectural models. The qualities of the system,
its genius, are intact, although the aesthetic character that the brand seems to
be aiming at, the types of products, the themes, the colors and
design are far away from what they used to be.
I don't know... before, when I was little, Lego was mute, we weren't
asked anything, but we were happy and our parents were happy, the
quality of design of the pieces and the sets was incredible yet simple,
complex and rich yet coherent. Now there are all this channels of
comunication, clubs, etc., and the feeling is that the company is always
missing the point, navigating away from its roots. I don't want to sound
conservative at all, I hate all sorts of speeches that talk about the past as
something invariably better.
Why issuing Lego Legends? I supose that it is because the company
recognizes there's value in the old sets, and because there's a market for
them, but then: How could it be possible that one of the first ones is NOT
the Galaxy Explorer? This is a clear example of how to miss the point, go in the
wrong direction.
And if Lego wants to innovate, change the way they do things, one thing
they could do is observe the market, analyse the internet to see what people
do... One obvious conclusion to me is that Lego could decide to sell a much
bigger line of spare parts, Lego could incorporate a 'bricklink.com' into its
own shop. How could it hurt to sell spare bricks if Lego is about the bricks?
Everything could be available, brand new, all the bricks, past and present, all
the colors... potentially all the sets. Entering a site with all that would be
like truly entering The World of Lego, a world where the 'brick' is the common
denominator of all times, colors, shapes, models, possibilities.