 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 565
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 03:47:35 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
To reiterate: You do exercise editorial control here, please keep doing so.

I absolutely and vehemently disagree with the assertion that editorial control
is being or has ever been exerted.

Perhaps we are working from different definitions of the term...?  My working
definition of "editorial control" is to edit or delete all or portions of
something based on its content on non-technical or non-legal grounds.  Thus,
manually deleting accidental duplicate messages is not exterting editorial
control.  Deleting messages which allegedly contain IP-infringing materials
upon specific request is not exerting editorial control.

Asking someone to please consider canceling their message or offering to help
them cancel it if they want to is not exerting editorial control, although it
may be exerting some sort of guiding influence.

Also, asking people not to use profanity -- on penalty of possibly losing
posting privileges -- is not exerting editorial control any more than asking
people not to post auction announcements in non-auction groups on penalty of
same would be.  Rather, it is asking people to exert editorial control
voluntarily upon their own messages.  Very different:  They can still choose
to ignore it and their messages will stay unedited and undeleted and
uncensored.  They may lose the privilege to post further messages, but the
messages in question stay put unless the poster chooses to remove them.

To exert editorial control, one must forcibly and unilaterially edit or remove
something based on qualitative judgments.  LUGNET does not review the content
of messages, manually or automatically, prior to their publishing.  (Except
obviously to make sure that they are standard plain-text ASCII and are
addressed to newsgroups which actually exist, etc. -- but absolutely no
squelching of free speech.)

Please Note:

LUGNET does not remove messages which violate its guidelines.  LUGNET must
of course messages if specificaly required to do so based on legal grounds.
Such messages may (or may not) coincidentally violate its guidelines.

Make no mistake:  The messages removed yesterday were ***NOT*** removed
because they violated LUGNET's T&C guidelines.  Let me repeat that.  The
messages removed yesterday were ***NOT*** removed because they violated
LUGNET's T&C guidelines.  They *were* removed because of a legal request
from LEGO which has absolutely nothing to do with LUGNET's T&C guidelines.
LUGNET does not manage, review, delete, edit, or otherwise control the
contents of the messages posted to its discussion groups.  This is what I
mean when I say that editorial control is not exerted.  You may have a
different definition of the term and I would be curious to hear it.

--Todd