 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5190
Re: Rip-off Europe again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:35:58 GMT

Things aren't uniform in the EU either.
The differences are seen too at the lower end of things.
We have in shop.lego.com, for example, HP-#4931 dobby's release...

In the euro-zone:

Euro:
9.99 finland, ireland, portugal, belgium, luxembourg, netherlands
9.29 austria
8.99 germany, france, spain

(Why the extra euro in the 'smaller' countries ?
- & this set is 8.99 on the shelves in ireland)

For comparison (roughly, using rates (02 Oct 02) at finance.yahoo.com)
7.09 USA, Canada
7.70 Australia
8.63 New Zealand
8.85 Switzerland
9.50 UK
10.75 Denmark
10.99 Sweden

So apart from the (non-eurozone) scandinavian countries
it's the smaller european countries getting hammered with the UK
not much better off.

Certainly for the larger sets I'd suggest getting a pal in the dollar zone!

E&OE

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:

"Andy Lowe" <slipstreaming@ANTISPAMbtopenworld.NOSPAMcom> wrote in message
Huw

I completely agree with your comments. The Lego Shop@Home pricing policy • in
the UK has got completely out of hand.

Not only in the UK, by the looks of things. Having just checked prices in
other countries, the Sterling equivalents are as follows:

172, USA (269USD, current price, regular price seems to be 299 when
switching to a US shopping basket)
173, Australia    (499AUD)
191, USA/Canada (299USD)
191, Switzerland (213CHF)
195, New Zealand (649NZD)
206, All Euro countries (329EUR)
206, Sweden (2990SEK)
224, UK  (224GBP)
227, Denmark (2699DKK)

We can take heart that the country the stuff is made in, and the one where
distribution costs are the lowest, has to pay more than us (OK, I know this
can be explained by their 25% sales tax)

Taxes, shipping and other theories can't explain for the difference. Take
the Statue of Liberty, another expensive set. US$199, EUR199 and 135GBP
which are within a couple of percent of each other. There must be something
else. Perhaps the 'Lucas Tax' is less in the USA.

I'd really love to hear someone from LD explain this one away, but I fear I
shall not have that opportunity.

Huw