 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 490
Re: Custom Kits & Communications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:32:30 GMT

I just found a sheet of paper with notes from a phone conversation with Brad
from early April.  During the conversation, one of the things he said was that
LEGO is "not looking to create our own adult community."  It doesn't mean that
they won't or couldn't, but I think it clearly means that their current focus
is the younger crowd.  Brad also said that he wanted to "minimize overlap."
(Those are direct quotes written down seconds after they were said.)

That's good to hear Todd.

I think it's wise for TLC to leave LUGNET's market alone.  LUGNET
continues to improve at a pace that suits most users needs, or so I
would hope.  It meets mine.  Really is time I sent you my membership
fees too.  :-)

I find myself at LUGNET and Brickshelf all the time; Lego.com once or
twice a month.

What LUGNET seems to have improved greatly is the signal-to-noise
ratio.  I rarely read or post to rec.toys.lego anymore.

I don't find time to participate in all the LUGNET newsgroups I know
I'd find interesting , but the ones I do subscribe to are valuable,
informative and enlightening.   I'm also inspired by the many MOC's
announced in each group.

The LEGO site is a rare visit for me.  As stated by others, the LEGO
Company hasn't done a great job building their web site.  I find it
extremely slow at 56k, annoying to search, obtuse, and a few other
things. It just isn't very useful to me.

Is the experience any better for children?  To be blunt, I don't see
why it would be.

But if the LEGO Company wants to make building a children's online
community a priority, I wish them every success.  It's needed for
them, as much as it's needed by us.

BTW, I don't consider the many young adults found on LUGNET to be
children.  The transition between child and young adult is somewhere
between  9-12 I think. Probably lower for girls, higher for boys.

In my mind, children become young adults when they can behave
responsibly around adults, consider their actions, need little
supervision, and can contribute relevant, interesting and meaningfully
to conversations.

I'm not a parent, so perhaps many of you who are, have a different
view of this.  I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, and the
above doesn't sound like a cranky single adult.

I think LUGNET and the many LEGO groups forming around the world
should consider making the distinction as well.

I know that one young woman was recently denied membership in a LEGO
group.  She has proven herself to be a responsible contributing member
of LUGNET, so why should she be denied the support and comradeship of
a local LEGO group?

I can't tell them how to run their group.  But I think it is a bad
policy, an unnecessary policy and short sighted.  I want to point out
the following.  Ever individual who joins LUGNET or joins a LEGO group
adds to our numbers.  Each gives us further market leverage and buying
power.  Each contributes in his or her own way to the LEGO community.

Don't discourage them because they're young.

I like the fact that while LUGNET doesn't discourage the participation
of children, it doesn't really encourage it either.

LUGNET seems to have many young adults contributing greatly to the
adult LEGO community.  That's great and I hope it continues.

So the LEGO Company can encourage the youngsters, and the adult
community can wean them over to LUGNET and the LEGO user groups at a
certain age and maturity.

Seems like a good approach to building a larger LEGO community.

Brad mentioned in July that as the official LEGO site www.lego.com grows,
he'll want to do cross-linking, for example a link from LEGO's official
Castle area to http://news.lugnet.com/castle/  (that was the example Brad
gave).  Similarly, the LUGNET pages could link to official LEGO areas, and
many do now.

That's great.  Exactly what is needed.

Brad mentioned that they would have to figure out the legal details of
off-site "deep linking" -- basically amounting to the right type of disclaimer
and notification of leaving the site, IIRC.

How would the notification be done?  I would really hate to see a pop
up window or some in-between page notifying that I'm leaving the LEGO
site, heading off into the great wastelands of the net...

Please...

It should be obvious to even the most mundane net user that they're
leaving one site and linking to another when the complete
look-and-feel of what they're seeing changes.

Most of us have long ago, learned to notice the status bar with
address path info.

Kids learn faster that us...

<ICS>