 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4811
4810  |  4812
Subject:
Usefulness of product description on shop.lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:24:07 GMT

Jake,

As noted before (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3195), I would really
appreciate some serious product information before buying, especially on
expensive sets.
On shop.lego.com each item only has a one-paragraph description, most of
which is often consumed by tacky saleschat.

A current example:
"The Gigamesh G60 is specially designed by SMART for travel over hazardous
surfaces. Highly maneuverable and agile, the Gigamesh can go places humans
can’t – that makes it perfect for dangerous spy missions! Includes
controller and secret missions CD-ROM."

I could care less about the story line. Or is this product really designed
by a company called SMART instead of TLG? Can this product actually go
places where humans can't? I know it's all fiction, but your consumers would
appreciate some facts before they buy.

I would rather read what functions are in the new control brick. Motors?
Sensors? Programmable? Computer interface? RCX compatibility? Channels?
IR/RC? How does the CD-rom relate to the control brick (just inspiration or
actual control)? What kind of batteries?

Appearently LEGO direct relies on consumer-to-consumer info
(lugnet.robotics) to disperse actual product information...

Last time I complained about this, I noticed the description (on the Manas)
was actually augmented and clarified later (however slighly). So it may have
an effect now to raise the issue again.

On a lighter note, imagine how a webbased computer shop would describe its
products in LEGO DIRECT style:

New iMac. $1399. Product information:
"Get ready for an adventure. The iMac has landed on your home planet EARTH 1
and you are called upon to harnass its power. Only you can direct its sleek
screen panel to reflect solar radiation from outer space. Stroke its rounded
belly to activate its secret contents and let your imagination guide you.
Includes mission CD-ROM. May compute."

Eric Brok
LEGO ON MY MIND
http://home.zonnet.nl/ericbrok/legomind