 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4712
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:50:17 GMT

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> writes:
As far as being a lego fan myself, let's say a 1 is not much of a fan and a
10 is very much the fan -- on such a scale I am probably a 6.  While I think
the stuff made circe 1982-1994 represents the best stuff they have ever
made, some newer stuff is cool too.  But Overall the set quality is way down
for a number of reasons.  I am probably more of a brick fan overall -- which
is to say that I like the best of the best put out by Lego, Tyco, and MB.
Basically, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

I'm a fan of the product, not the company.  My support of TLC as a
company is due only to the product itself.  I have some serious issues
with TLC's choice of products (Jack Stone, Bionicle, etc.) and with
some of their business practices (cancelling the 3033, giving smaller
retailers the shaft, etc.).  But overall they make a good product, and
I think that LD does a great job.  If TLC went out of business
tomorrow, I'd be sad, but I wouldn't stop playing with the brick or
going onto Lugnet.

The idea that recieving marketing information from a company that wants to
sell product is some kind of service to me is just inane.  That's what such
businesses do.

Not all marketing information is bad.  If LD posted on Lugnet that
Mindstorms 1.5 was available for 50% off on their site, I'd be glad to
hear it.  (NB: It is, but it wasn't announced by LD.)

And again, I don't care if Todd and Suz DO want to sell TLC use of the
Lugnet name if it supports the site, that TLC assumes it may use Lugnet's
name for free is simply offensive and unjust.  I am just going to assume
that you also expect to be fairly compensated for the use of your own
substantive properties...

If the New York Times ran a favorable article about TLC, and TLC
mentioned it in their promotional materials, would you expect them to
pay NYT?  Hell no, that would be tantamount to bribery.  Using
Lugnet's name as part of a discount code is good advertising for
Lugnet, and does very little to help TLC.  (At least compared to any
other possible discount code name.)

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!