 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4686
Re: LEGO - Small shop horror story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:24:02 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, William R. Ward writes:
Laura Gjovaag writes:

We tried.  Several times.  We've talked with a number of different
people.  It is apparently their policy that small shops NEVER get
backorders filled, even if the reason for the backorder is a mistake
on their part.

I have no problem with "no backorders".  What I have a problem with
is "no backorders even if WE screwed up".  If you make a mistake,
you should fix it.  Period.

See if you can bend the ear of a reporter who deals with this sort of
issue.  LEGO prides themselves on great customer service, i.e. public
relations.  If LEGO is brought to task publically for this kind of
behavior which so dramatically favors the "big box" stores, they will
need to address it in order to preserve that reputation.  The only
reason they can get away with this kind of behavior is because the
public never hears about it.

I will only use this as an absolute last resort.  I'm still trying via
several channels to get the message to SOMEONE in the chain of command that
this behavior is inexcusable.

*I* don't want to harm the LEGO company's reputation.  I like LEGO bricks.  I
enjoy modeling LEGO.  I love my LEGO trains.  The last thing I really want to
do is call in some reporter and weaken their brand name even more.

As it is, the public *is* hearing about it.  LEGO customers in our store are
hearing about it.  We even had a guy ask if he could special order LEGO from
us, and we had to explain why we dare not try it.  The "no backorder" policy
makes a certain kind of sense to me, but it makes it impossible for us to fill
customer requests easily, and even if we did order it... what if they ship us
the wrong thing???  Suddenly what should have taken a week is going to take
twice as long and be a huge hassle because LEGO refuses to fix its problems.

I don't know how to reach the people I ought to talk to.  We have a nice direct
link with LEGO Direct here, but LEGO Direct isn't the chain of command I need
to complain to.  And before I start smearing LEGO's reputation in the local
newspaper, I'd like to at least find out for sure that the "No, we don't fix
mistakes we make" policy really is LEGO's policy, and not just laziness on the
part of multiple workers on their end.

And if it *IS* their policy, I'd like to know why.  It makes it impossible for
any small shop owner to carry LEGO without unacceptable risks.

And, if I shouldn't get a satisfactory answer (or if I'm completely unable to
reach the people who I want to talk with), perhaps I will go to the local news
stations and newspapers, and let them know there is a story here about small
shops being stomped by LEGO's policies.

But I don't want to do that.

I'd rather get this resolved, get our poor receiving clerk (Peggy) an apology
for the headaches LEGO caused, get the correct case of merchandise, and a
promise that future mistakes will be promptly corrected without all this fuss.

Laura Gjovaag
Math 'N' Stuff
Seattle, Washington