 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4631
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes: [...]
Why am I not answering questions on LUGNET?

Most questions of LEGO actually get asked outside of lego.direct. Since I
can't answer those questions "officially" and I'm not sure what the
appropriate method of cross linking the answer with the question, I feel
uncomfortable posting about that issue out of context. I would absolutely
love if I could, along with other LD employees, post directly to a question
with a few brief lines to answer a question in context. Unfortunately,
LUGNET prohibits this.

[...]
Jake

---
Jake McKee
Senior Producer
LEGO Direct

Thank you, Jake.
I just wanted to confirm my suspicion.[1]

Such a lack of maturity from one who's actions reflect on The LEGO Company
is very disappointing. But, your 'using' of this community is inexcusable.

-Suz
LUGNET Admin

[1] Since our last phone conversation a few months ago, in which Jake again
asked for sitewide posting and I answered in the negative, he has been
giving this entire community the 'silent treatment' in hopes to 'get his way.'

I don't know Suz.... It seems like it wouldn't take much for TLC to return
to their activity level in the early days of LUGNET, ei. no communication
back to the community. In the early days we knew that TLC employees were
reading our posts and gathering information, but we never heard from them.
It was a one-way street. I for one prefer and am greatful to have a two-way
street.

If I am properly remembering the reasoning for segregating TLC's posts from
the rest of the newsgroups, it was because we couldn't properly authenticate
the "LEGO voice" as being genuine. New measures have since been implimented
to ensure that those who post are who they say they are. Why not give
unrestricted posting access to TLC employees? Aside from being what TLC
wants, it also makes immediate responses to questions that much more likely.

I must respectfully state that I think your stance on this is wrong. TLC, or
at least LEGO Direct, has shown that they are willing to listen to the
community and respond within their capabilities. I have seen much progress
since LUGNET originally started (even though I'm not that vocal, I have been
around a while.) Don't inhibit futher progress and cooperation with a petty
squabble (which is how your post script came across to me).

What is the harm that can be done by giving TLC the same access as anyone
with a hotmail account? Answer that and maybe I'll feel a little better
about being a member of the community.

-Duane