 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4139
Re: 10020 limited to 10000 sets or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:21:29 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, John Neal writes:

Allan Bedford wrote:

The sooner a LEGO Direct item becomes unavailable, the sooner that item
begins to show up on eBay at inflated prices.  Isn't that one of the things
LEGO Direct was supposed to help stop?

??? I think LD couldn't care less about what goes on at ebay.

Then I must be mistaken.  My apologies.

It was my understanding that at least one of the original thoughts behind
LEGO Direct was that it would provide sets directly to consumers, in much
they way you can effectively 'shop' on eBay.  As well, I thought that some
of the reasoning behind the LEGENDS sets was that fans were complaining of
the inflated prices they were paying at auction for classic sets.

Again, my apologies, I must have misunderstood.

I am personally against any sort of 'Limited Edition' products.  They only
reward people with immediate buying power and don't always end up with true
fans.  I believe in the long run the company would do well to keep this
terrific set in production as long as possible.  It is a good ambassador for
their products and their image.

Well, how about this scenario: what would you rather have, this set run over
60,000 sets, or 3 sets of the same car in alternate road color schemes.

Honestly?

Let it go as long as it sells.  And if it continues to sell well, then leave
it in circulation and bring another companion set out as well.  If the
company feels it's carrying too many products then perhaps it's time to kill
off some of the deadwood.  There are already enough lines and themes from
LEGO to choke an elephant.  Economize and focus on sets that are as
well-designed as this one is.

I'm not a train fan in the least, but I'll be buying one of these sets for
my desk at work.

Well, welcome to trains:-)

Oh dear.... what have I done?

Back away slowly.

No sudden movements.........

(based on the fact that LD can only have so many different sets in
production at any given time)

If the sales for this division continue to be strong, I suspect this
artificial limit of how many sets they can release could be raised or
eliminated.

That's the point.  The limit is not in any way "artificial", but very *real*--
Brad said so himself.  They can only put out so many different sets at any given
time, and even of those being offered, some are *already* out of production-- it's
just that we as consumers aren't aware of it.

My point is that just because something *is* doesn't mean it has to stay
that way.  Until last week, the Olympics had never altered a judges decision
during an Olympic games and issued a 2nd set of gold medals to a pair of
figure skaters.  Why?  Because they just didn't.  It was against Olympic
policy and tradition.  But they found a situation that demanded that
something be done.  And they did it.  They did something they'd never done
before.  I just have this feeling, in seeing all the things LEGO does and
doesn't do right now, that a lot of it comes down to, "because that's the
way it has to be."  Things, people and companies can change.  Product limits
can be altered.  Old sets can be reissued.

Just my feelings.

Regards,
Allan B.