 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3641
3640  |  3642
Subject:
Ordering custom models from Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:50:02 GMT

Hi all,

I was just browsing around in the .announce newsgroup and noticed this
paragraph;

"And in 2002, we will begin a program
where LEGO builders will be able to build any three dimensional creation
using
free software to create building instructions for their model - and then
order
the appropriate number and type of bricks," says Torben Ballegaard
Sørensen."

This statment was made in 2000 and I have heard nothing more on this since.
I was just wondering if this is still planned for next year and if so, how
do you think this is going to work? Will we really be able to take some
MLCad style program, create virtual models with it using an unlimited range
of Lego pieces and then have Lego send us all the parts for the model?

I mean, Lego offers bulk bricks, but they don't have THAT much of a range of
them other than standard bricks. (probably a selection in the 100's, not in
the 10,000's that would be needed to models rivaling what Lego themselves
do)
I'm guessing that if the above is implemented then the software will be
extremely limited in the range of virtual pieces offered, unless Lego are
planning on uping the range of pieces available for bulk order.
For example, if I were to make a train car, would I be able to choose
windows, doors, coach baseplates, roof pieces in any Lego color? How
realistic is it to expect Lego to hold such a vast range of pieces in many
colors?

I'm just musing in my own head how this could work if they are still
planning this, but I would be interested to see what others think. Also,
does anyone know of any definate information regarding this initiative?

Thanks
Richard.