 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3583
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:31:30 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

The topic is: what makes a LEGO Legend a legend? Or, more precisely, if we
cannot bring back a set precisely as it was (or pretty darn close), can it
still qualify as a Legend?

If you want to go "way back" to a set that's mostly built of generic bricks,
I'd highly suggest 565 Moon Landing.  Surely there would be compromises.

As far as stickers go, this set had stickers anyway, so substituting a few
more printed elements for stickered bricks is no big deal, in my opinion.

As far as pieces without molds, you'd likely have trouble with:

The flag (with US flag sticker) - just substitute something appropriate here
so you still get a US flag.

The TV antenna - just substitute a modern whip antenna, or build up a TV
antenna from a few modern parts.

The bendy arm astronauts - if you can't get the heads, it's no big deal.
The heads weren't used in the main model anyway.  If you have to substitute
something else for the 2x2 brick that the bendy arms attached too, this is
o.k. too, as modern parts likely exist that would work just as well.
Hopefully the bendy arm hand and wrist molds still exist.  ABSOLUTELY DO NOT
SUBSTITUTE MODERN FIGURES LIKE THE ONES IN TECHNIC!  The astronauts should
be built from mostly basic bricks.  That was one of the unique things about
this pre-minifig set.

Yellow ladder - just find a yellow ladder (or ladders attached together)
that looks similar.  I was never too happy with the old ladder design
anyway.  Mine broke (rungs pulled away from the side pieces).

Wheels and axle sets - just substitute something modern that looks good.
The wheels in this set didn't look to authentic anyway.  Take a closer look
at a real lunar rover (US Smithsonian Air & Space Museum has one) and find
modern parts that look better.

Old style helicopter rotor - just substitute the modern version of this (as
was done in the Mania Magazine recently).

I feel this set is perfect for a Ledgends set.  There are a minimum number
of "special" pieces to give you trouble with missing molds, and it really
lets the buyer build quite a massive model, with mostly bricks, plates, and
slopes.

Jeff