 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3504
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:26:44 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

No more metal axle wheel sets?  NOT A PROBLEM!!!

Sticker versus decorated items--this seems to be an issue.  As someone with
a manufacturing engineering degree (and a brother who's in the printing
business), and the fact that you can't produce any "new" things specifically
for the Legends series.  Take, for example, the Galaxy Explorer set (my vote
for a Legends set)--the two prominent decorated elements--the 1x4 brick with
"LL 928" and the sloped front piece with the ship around the planet
logo--you may not be able to produce them because the pieces used for the
stamping have probably dried up and crumbled from non-use and natural aging.

Can you use stickers?  Yes.  Should you use stickers?  No.

However, if you can't get those pieces decorated, should that prevent a
Legends series from getting made?  The answer is no--I think the general
feeling is that you capture the spirit of the Legends, and not how exact you
can reproduce an old set.  Some of the purists out there may disagree, as
they may want a decorated part to really return them to their childhoods,
but it probably won't happen.

My feeling is that if you can somehow find a way to produce decorated parts,
and the cost is minimal enough that you can recoup the cost by adding a few
dollars (i.e. under 10 bucks) to the price of the set, those few extra
dollars will be worth the price.  If it's not possible to produce decorated
elements, and stickers are the only alternative,  I would say to use the
stickers.  There may be some grumbling about "why are they stickers--the
should have decorated the elements", but then you'd have to think "would you
rather have the set, or no set at all?".

My feelings are that decorated elements make the set rather special, but
sometimes stickers have to be used or the sets get really expensive (and
then the general public won't buy them at all)....

Maybe not much of a true solution here, but I say use the decorated elements
if possible, and if there's no way to use the decorated elements--go with
the stickers...

-Scott Lyttle