 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3502
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 06:25:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

The topic is: what makes a LEGO Legend a legend?

<snip>

A great question.  To me, it has a lot less to do with nostalgia, and more with
set complexity.  I do understand the current catch-22 that TLC is facing these
days with its juniorization policy of sets (feeling the need to hook younger
kids having shorter attention spans).  So maybe if the sets being produced today
were more complex, the whole "legends" idea would be moot.

But if I had to choose a set to be rereleased, it would be one that contains a
unique part that is no longer available today.  For instance, many point to the
7740 as a "legend":

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7740

I say fine, or I'd say just give us the 1x2x2 classic window in gray in bulk
(and black, too)!  And instead of the 3x3 double low slope in yellow, make it in
dark gray!  It is the unique parts that make a great set great.  I doubt many
would want you to reissue, say, the 111:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/111_2

Sure, it's from 1966 and a Legend, but it's mostly common bricks!

Here me now and believe me later: despite juniorization, I'll take what is being
produced today over anything produced 25 years ago.  Give me tan, brown, dark
gray (dark red;-) over the primaries of the past.  The sets may have been more
complex in the past, but who really keeps a set together anyway? (I have 1,000+
sets and not one is together).  And if one *does* keep sets together, why not
just be a Playmobil customer?

I hear many people applauding the older sets because of their complexity, but
you can bring them back *and make them better*.  So take a "legend" *design*
from the past and update it in some new colors!  I would advise against being
beholden to the idea of trying to reproduce a classic so carefully-- that misses
the whole point in my mind.  *Forget* about nostalgia, it's all about the bricks
and what we can do with them *after* the set has been torn apart and sorted into
the collection:-)

-.02,

John