 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3490
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:08:33 GMT

First off, let me thank you for going out to the lego community like this
and actually asking us what we think about this. It shows us you are aware
of us as a relevant source for opinions. My other great hobby apart from
lego is that I am a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. Trust me, if his management
gave the impression of listening a bit more to what the fans have to say, I
think it would be very hugely appreciated among us dieard "Bruce Tramps",
who see multiple concerts and collect dozens, or even hundreds of bootleg
recordings and in short, collectively have an extremely informed opinion
about his music.

What makes a legend a legend? I'm not sure, I think that is very subjective.
I think that in many cases, one doesn't realise how great a set was until
maybe 5 years later, when it seems to be head and shoulders above just about
anything that has been released since. The classic space stuff from the 80s
seems so much cooler to me than most of the space stuff I have seen coming
out over the last 5 years (not including the excellent starwars sets). But
back when they came out, sure they were cool, but I guess they just didn't
strike me as so brilliant.

Sometimes a model comes along that is one of a kind, an idea that is only
used once. We have seen many castles and pirate ships come and go over the
years, but only one western fort. Considering also the huge number of
otherwise rare, brown log wall pieces included, I would say that Fort
Legoredo is a classic set hands down. Fans of Castle and Pirate themes
welcomed it as well, because the parts could be used in their kinds of
buildings as well.

My thoughts about the legends series is that you should first and foremost
stick to keeping the original "spirit" or "feel" of the set. Beyond that, I
would be happy to see you purposefully change the sets to make it clear that
these aren't replicas of ancient models. Rather, they are newer, perhaps
versions of older sets. Any set can be improved, no matter how great it is.
Take this oppurtunity to use newer bricks that weren't around when the sets
originally came out. While I would absoutely love to see a reissue of the
classic yellow castle, I would love even more, to have that set rereleased
in tan bricks (instead of the less usefull yellow), with the "modern"
horses, instead of horses made of bricks. The overall feel of the set would
remain the same - a very satisfactory, playable castle set with walls made
of bricks instead of wall segments. You could change some of the colours on
purpose, perhaps improve on earlier versions, in order to make it clear that
these legends sets are a kind of "Mark II version". Instead of releasing the
Black Falcon's Fortress as close as possible to what it was, and then worry
about not having the moulds of some little piece, instead make it a bit
bigger, give the knights say a tan and a grey horse, and perhaps two extra
non soldier minifigs. In short improve the set, but maintain the idea of the
model (what made the model so great in the first place), in this case, a
modular castle with a huge gatehouse at the front, and a kind of roofed
tower thing at the back. (But please do keep the Black Falcon minigfigs :))

The advantage of "upgrading" the sets instaed of trying to recreate them
exactly, would be that collectors who really want to have an original model
from back in the day, would still be able to collect them without having
their "fun" ruined. Also, by deciding to change/improve the models, you
wouldn't be agonising over whether you could justify re releasing some old
set with totally new wheels that don't look like they were designed 20 years
ago.

cheers

Magnus