 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3463
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:22:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

<snip>

Now we are considering where we go next with this line. We've gone back to
the early 90s with the Metroliner and Club Car, and to 1986 for the Guarded
Inn. Now we'd like to dial the Wayback Machine a bit further back... and
here's where we start to run into "issues."

Without revealing what specific sets we have under consideration (hey, we're
trying to maintain an aura of mystery here!), the dilemma is this: in
general, the farther back we go, the more compromises are necessary in order
to make the set. For example: the old metal-axle wheelsets? Forget it.
They're not coming back; we're stuck with the wheels we've got now.
Baseplates and road plates have changed, too --  on some of the road plates,
we use one fewer stud now (8 instead of 9) between the roads and the edge of
the plate -- which could affect the "look" and arrangement of sets using
those plates (e.g. buildings could be closer together than in the
originals). And the list goes on: unavailability of certain decorated
elements (though we could use stickers); the need to use slightly different
elements to replace an element for which we no longer have the mold; and so
on. You see the problems...

<snip>

So here's my question for you all: how much compromise can you live with?
Should we just cross any older Town set off the consideration list because
we can't use the metal-axle wheelsets? Are stickers ok? How many changes are
allowed before it's not a Legend anymore? Where do you -- where should we --
draw the line? Is the Legend in the spirit of the overall set or in the details?

<snip>

We've received great input from the community here, and from many of you
individually, on the direction we're taking with products coming from LEGO
Direct. We need some of that input now. Please help us make next year's
Legends everything you want them to be.

I think the best way to illustrate your point here, Brad, is to point out
the 1974 helicopter instructions on page 16 of the September-October
2001Mania Magazine.

I personally thought that this "re-do" of classic instructions was great. It
also goes to show that the flavor of classic instructions can be kept in
line with modern part substitutions. The differences in this instance were
so minor, that they in no way spoiled the idea of building new from old. In
fact, your mere willingness to do the Classic and Legend lines shows that at
least the heart is there, in the sets.

In my mind, the true fun of the Classic/Legends sets is the ability to share
these sets that I grew up with with my children now. Along those lines,
well, they never knew the original parts list, so they can't be
dissapointed...but they can see sets from a time when bricks were supplied
with guidelines, not elements with definitive instructions.

To close, I think, at this point, especially after all of the great work
you, LEGO Direct, and The LEGO Company has done on the current re-issues,
not many folks will truly complain about any re-issue whatsoever...they'll
just enjoy them in the spirit they are presented in...the spirit of playing
well.

Matt