 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2810
    Very loose tolerances in the manufacture of LEGO bricks? —Christopher Masi
   When I went to (URL) noticed this statement Thousands of a mm - that's the tolerance of accuracy at the LEGO mould factories. I don't think that you mean that the tolerances are on the order of meters (a thousand mm is a m), do you? Chris (23 years ago, 10-Jun-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: Very loose tolerances in the manufacture of LEGO bricks? —Jake McKee
     (...) Chris, That is thousandths of a millimeter, versus 1000 millimeters. Jake --- Jake McKee AFOL LUGNET Member #211 (23 years ago, 10-Jun-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: Very loose tolerances in the manufacture of LEGO bricks? —Kyle D. Jackson
   (...) I can't get into the Web Club to read this (because my userid has been nuked for some reason) so I don't know the context. But as Jake McKee has already posted, this would be thousandths of a millimetre (1/1000 or 0.001 mm). For you non-metric (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jun-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: Very loose tolerances in the manufacture of LEGO bricks? —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Except in rare cases, the tool has to be a tighter tolerance than the product. I have no trouble whatsoever imagining (read that as speculating please!) that the tolerances on the molds are at .001 mm and that due to non uniform cooling, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jun-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: Very loose tolerances in the manufacture of LEGO bricks? —Kyle D. Jackson
   (...) I agree that the mould tolerances would be higher than the part. I was assuming the referenced article was referring to the parts, though. (I don't want to sign up for a new Web Account to read it, until I've heard back from their site admin). (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jun-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: Very loose tolerances in the manufacture of LEGO bricks? —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) I remember reading that same article and I sure came away with the impression that the molds were being referred to. Could be misinterpretation on my part, though. (...) Agreed. ++Lar (23 years ago, 11-Jun-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)