 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2815
Re: Very loose tolerances in the manufacture of LEGO bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:39:41 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Kyle D. Jackson writes:

Except in rare cases, the tool has to be a tighter tolerance than the product.

I have no trouble whatsoever imagining (read that as speculating please!)
that the tolerances on the molds are at .001 mm and that due to non uniform
cooling, differences in runs of ABS beads, etc.... the bricks the molds
produce come out with the tolerances in their dimensions you describe (.1 mm).

I agree that the mould tolerances would be higher than the part.
I was assuming the referenced article was referring to the parts,
though.  (I don't want to sign up for a new Web Account to read
it, until I've heard back from their site admin).

I wish TLC wasn't so tight-lipped about their manufacturing
capabilities.  Other companies bubble over sideways to tell
you about what they can do.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada